Poppy seed paste is a delicacy in the province of Bardhaman, West Bengal, India. Potato, onion are commonly cooked with poppy seed paste. But today I will share a delicious recipe of poppy seed cooked with Beetroot. On a week night, it is an easy way to cook the vegetable for dinner and serve it with rice.
Blending poppy seed to a smooth paste can be a challenge. Any smaller blender would be helpful. I use the Magic Bullet blender to make a perfect paste of poppy seeds.
For blending the Beetroot any blender will work. However I had invested on an expenseive BlendTec blender but it definitely pays off.
Yields 16 oz
Serves 4 oz135
15 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
5 based on 1 review(s)
- One Beetroot
- 2 Table spoons of Poppy seed
- Mustard Oil (optional)
- 2 Thai Green Chilis (optional)
- Grind Beetroot: Cut the beetroot in cubed pieces. Grind it in a grinder to make a paste. Drop a couple of green chili’s to make it hot and spicy.
- Grind poppy seed: You can grind it dry or wet based on your grinder. I prefer to grind it wet in a Magic Bullet Grinder
- On a non stick pan, heat mustard oil. If mustard oil is not available, then use any other cooking oil like Canola or cooking olive oil. Pour the beetroot paste and dry it up. Add poppy seed paste and cook it with the beetroot paste. Add salt to taste. Add red chili powder to make it spicy if needed.
- After transferring to serving bowl pour a teaspoon of mustard oil on top (optional).
- Serve with White rice or brown rice.