After being to holiday parties for last few days, today I decided to cook Bengali comfort food at home. Daal is an essential part of a Bengali meal and the moong daal cooked with cauliflower, peas and ghee is definitely a delicate comfort food. This daal has little sweet taste. Usually people from southern part of India do not like sweetness in the main course. But my family members from southern part of India love this daal. I hope other people will also like it.
Yields 32 oz
Serves 4 oz18
30 minCook Time
30 minTotal Time
- 3/4 cup of Moong Daal
- 1/2 cup of Cauliflower cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup of frozen or fresh peas
- 1/2 tomato
- 1 tablespoon of ginger
- 1 tablespoon of cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon of grated coconut
- 1/2 cup of cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon of ghee
- Roast the daal in a heated pan until a few grains turn slightly brown
- Wash the roasted daal.
- In a bowl add the roasted daal, add water, turmeric and salt and boil the daal
- In a pan heat oil and fry the cauliflower. Once cauliflower gets cooked, add the cauliflower to the daal.
- Now in the same pan lightly fry the peas and add it to the daal.
- Heat little more oil and add cumin seeds to the oil.
- Add ginger paste to the oil and fry it for 30 sec
- Add Tomato in the same pan and let it cook for 2 min.
- Add the mixture to the daal.
- Now add water to the daal to reach the desired consistency and bring the daal to boil
- Add salt and sugar
- Fry the grated coconut in a separate pan and add it to the daal.
- Add the ghee at the end.