Lemon curd, an English delicacy, used to be served with bread as a replacement for jam in the nineteenth and twentieth century England for afternoon Tea. Just to clarify, Lemon Curd is not a curd or even cheese-like dessert. It is a velvety-custard like dessert made with eggs, sugar, butter and lemon juice. During this shelter-in-place, the ingredients for making something fancy are not always available. So I tried to make something new with the plentiful lemon from our backyard and the lemon curd came out to be the perfect sweet dessert with the tinge of lemony tart favor.
Lemon Curd requires only 4 ingredients – lemons, sugar (preferably powdered sugar), eggs, butter. To make the lemon curd, squeeze two third cups of fresh lemon juice. Take our 6 eggs – I used 4 eggs and only the egg yolks from the other two eggs. Add one and quarter cup of powdered sugar to the eggs and beat the mixture really well (preferable with an electric beater). Add the lemon juice in the egg/ sugar mixture. Now heat the mixture in medium heat with continuously stirring it with a stirrer for almost 5 minutes, until the mixture thickens and sticks to the stirrer. Remove the mixture from the heat to a separate bowl and add half a cup of butter and optionally add a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
Few tips for making lemon curd
- You can also add lemon zest. Instead of using powdered sugar, you can mix granulated sugar with a tablespoon of lemon zest and give it a good stir in the blender.
- Always use fresh lemon to make the lemon curd
- Alway use a steel bowl to heat up the mixture for two reasons – 1) steel distributes the heat uniformly, 2) the curd may get a metallic flavor if it is made in non-stick pan
Usage of lemon curd
Lemon curd can be consumed in various ways. Here are some ideas for consuming lemon curd
- Me and my family like to have just the lemon curd as dessert
- You can spread it over bread and enjoy it for breakfast or snack
- Mix the lemon curd with whipped cream to make a delicious mousse
- Make parfaits with whipped cream, granola/ graham cracker and lemon curd
- Lemon curd can be the perfect filling for lemon tart
- You can use it in the fillings for Pie or layered cakes
Yields 20 tablespoons
Serves 2 tablespoons745
Easy 5 ingredient lemon curd recipe
10 minPrep Time
5 minCook Time
15 minTotal Time
5 based on 1 review(s)
- 2/3 cups of fresh lemon juice
- 6 eggs
- 1 and 1/4 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Squeeze two third cups of fresh lemon juice.
- Take our 6 eggs - Use 4 eggs and only the egg yolks from the other two eggs.
- Add one and quarter cup of powdered sugar to the eggs and beat the mixture really well (preferable with an electric beater).
- Add the lemon juice in the egg/ sugar mixture.
- Heat the mixture in medium heat while continuously stirring it with a stirrer for almost 5 minutes, until the mixture thickens and sticks to the stirrer.
- Remove the mixture from the heat to a separate bowl and add half a cup of butter
- Add a teaspoon of vanilla extract (optional)
Use Steel bowl to heat up the mixture
History of Lemon Curd: https://www.barkers.com.au/latest-news/history-lemon-curd/